Friday, June 4, 2010

Captain Whidbey Inn

This week we were at the Capt. Whidbey Inn in Coupeville.  This is such a beautiful place overlooking Penn Cove.   The herb, vegetable gardens and cottages are very picturesque.  The Inn, built in 1907 has log walls, the most beautiful small stone fireplace.  There is a feeling of warmth and coziness in a slightly dark atmosphere.  That darkness (wood walls) actually cause one to look outside on a rainy day and dream.

Call me crazy but the dining room wall of overlapping mirrors and view through the mirrors of the dining tables and small landscapes outside, was a challenge I couldn't resist.  Robert Motherwell:  "I begin a painting with a series of mistakes."  I think I know what he means, particularly now.  It has been a difficult challenge and I am crazily wondering what it would look like painted larger with more detail.  My biggest problem was the wood walls; what was I thinking trying to replicate that color, aargh!  Nevertheless, challenges are what keep you learning. Look for the ghostly images of a couple of sketchers in the mirrors.
Keep on painting.  Pat

1 comment:

  1. Mom, I love this sketch. How challenging to capture the reflection in the multiple mirrors.
    Blog looks great, I like the how the sketches appear larger. Great job!
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete

MINI PAINTINGS

Covid 19 threw us all for a loop.  Some hunkered down and ate more; my husband and went for hikes in the fresh air to various favorite locat...